Thursday, January 23, 2014

10 Ways to Live a Swedish Summer

No comments:
 
Monday, July 29, 2013




This is the way I have lived a Swedish summer, and I have loved it!

1. Swimming.
I have had the opportunity to swim at quite a few places in Sweden. Some have been colder than others, but it is always worth it to jump into the water after many months of having a frozen ocean.



2. Ice Cream. Lot's of it!


The brain Ice cream that Lovisa gave us, it was very good!


3. Beach Volleyball! 


4. Watching movies outdoors...in this case the Emperors New Groove!



5. Midsummer! 
The swedes have a celebration called "Midsommar". This is the day of the year with most sunlight. The sun goes down at around 12 at night and comes up at 3 in the morning.
To celebrate this the swedes get together and dance. We were supposed to see some typical Swedish dances but it was a rainy day. Fortunately the rain did not stop us from dancing together to the midsummer tunes. After this event everyone has a barbecue and eats delicious strawberries. As a celebration my friends and I decided to go swimming at midnight, since midsummer is celebrated on the longest day of the year. So much fun!



6. Strawberries, wild cherries...overall BERRIES!
If you know me well, you know that I am more of a berry person than a chocolate person. The summer in Sweden is all about eating strawberries, and of course the typical "Jordgubbstårta", or strawberry cake; it is so delicious. 
I have also had the opportunity to eat wild cherries for the first time. This has been one of my favourite things to do. They are so delicious!
 
copyright. theswedeandsourkitchen.wordpress.com

My friend, Lovisa made this delicious berry dessert after a great day at the beautiful Island of Öckerö.




7. Picnic and Fika
One of the most enjoyable thing to do with friends is to go to the beach and have a picnic, or like the swedes say, have some Fika...and of course followed by a good, cold swim!








8. Swedish Barbecue
The Swedish barbecue consists of delicious grilled meat, potatoes and salad. Followed by some dessert! I have enjoyed two Swedish barbecues, both very fun. Especially because we got to eat steak. 





9. Beach Bonfires 
This has been one of my favourite things to do. Go for a swim and then enjoy roasted marshmallows or sausage wrapped with bread dough to cook in the fire. 




10. Fun with friends...go on a boat!
 I have even been able to go on a boat and wake board for the first time! If you travel around the west coast of Sweden you will see how boats are part of the Swedish summer experience. Therefore this is a must.

My friends and I went wakeboarding and tubing! It was fun, scary and a little painful haha.





I have had such a great summer, and I thank God so much for letting me live a Swedish summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff